Friday 7 April 2017

Polyglot

Hello. By anyone else's standards, I'm pretty crap at updating this "blog". But considering a) I've been busy rehearsing and performing and living a human life; and b) it's my blog and I'll do what i want with it I find it fairly easy to ignore other people's standards.
I have written a thing! It's already served its purpose in that she for whom it was intended was crying with happiness on a bus when she read it, But I thought you might like to read it too. I thought I would share it with you. It's called Polyglot, and it goes thusly:

Polyglot

Last night I dreamed I wrote a poem
Which contained the line
“When I speak Arabic I seem more English than ever.”
I imagine that would be true.
I mean, just fucking look at me.
(If you are reading this off the page,
Or otherwise can’t look at me
Picture a copy of the Encyclopaedia Britannica
Wearing a tweed jacket, you’ll get the general idea.)
So points for observation, Dream-Me; good job!
If I did I would, but I can’t so et cetera.
The linguist in me has always
Vaguely wanted to study
A tongue unrelated to my own.
You can’t deny it would be useful;
There would be another 230 million people worldwide
With whom I could make awkward small-talk at parties.
But I’m in no real hurry to learn.
I already perfectly understand the meaning
When she leans in close and whispers
“انا بحبك”,
I can see the truth of it shining in her eyes.

I’m already fluent in all the most important things.

One hopes you're well,
Yrs,
ADWoodward

PS. انا بحبك apparently transliterates as "inna bihabik" so you have an idea of how it sounds. I dunno, she never wrote it down in Latin script for me. Too busy being lovable and excellent

No comments:

Post a Comment